Saturday, August 20, 2011

Uncle Fung & His Cameras

As I have mentioned in my previous San Francisco Blog, Auntie and Uncle Fung took me in almost a month when I was in the city looking for a job many years ago. I have one very vivid memory of Uncle Fung. After about a week staying at their house, one night I caught Uncle Fung digging through his boxes of metal bits and pieces in the kitchen...later I realized that he was looking for a key chain, to loop around a set of house keys which he handed to me for easier access in and out of the house...I was so touched...and this is how I will always remember Uncle Fung, that he was such a gentle considerate man. This trip to San Francisco, while cousin Betty was making my bed in the guest room, I was telling her how I have been trying to pick up my long lost passion of photography again, then she rolled out two huge plastic storage boxes in the guest room, and they are filled with vintage cameras which Uncle Fung collected over the years! I was like in candyland! Although I do not have much knowledge of vintage cameras, I liked anything retro and they all looked so unique to me. I later asked Uncle Auntie Fung, if Uncle had ever used these cameras...she said 'oh yes, he used to take big cameras with him when we traveled, and I was very annoyed with him for hulking along all these heavy equipments, and you know what, he only came back with pictures of peoples' feet!!' I find that very funny! Uncle Fung left us about three years ago, I wish I had gotten to know him more...But I will always hold onto that one special piece of memory I share with him...These pictures were taken one morning around their house...I skipped breakfast and tried to look for natural lights and interesting settings to photograph these babies.


A Kodak Retina II camera, posed along side with cousin Dewitt's orchid!



An Argus Camera.


Yashica-A sounds like a Japanese Camera?

Agfa Karat Camera.

Behind the Contax camera are stacks of old vinyl records collected by my Uncle.

An Argus Camera.

An Olympus Camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment